Friday, November 6, 2009

Wonderful day

Yesterday was a wonderful day. One of the first things I do in the morning is check out MyShutterSpace to check and see if I got any comments on my photos. not only did I have nice comments but I got a personal comment from one of my friends asking how I was. It was really nice to know that I was missed ( I hadn't been posting photos like usual) and they were concerned enough to ask how I was. Sometimes things like that can make a positive difference in one's day. It sure started mine out nice.
I'd gotten a good night's sleep, the best in months, so I decided to run errands while I was feeling good. Went to Wal-Mart and had this flower collage made into a poster so this winter when things outside are kind of blah I'll remember the flowers from my garden. In talking with the cashier I mentioned the poster and why I was getting it and that last year I had done one up for my husband. She thought that was a wonderful idea for Christmas for her husband. I hope she does it, and she gets one for herself. She really liked the idea of the picture coming from my own garden and thought she would look though her pictures so she could give something truly personal. That's one of the things I love about photography or any piece of art is that it is always personal. No one will take the same picture even if it's the same subject. One famous fantasy artist said that he did not worry about copyrights, that even if you traced his art you put so much of your personality into it that it would always belong to you and not to him. I'm sure he feels different about scanning and photocopying, but that's not creating art.
Wal-mart has this secret plan to get you to spend more money while one is in the store. It's called one hour photo. They put photo processing in the store, charge less than sending it out or about the same and then tell you to come back in an hour. What do you do during that hour? You shop. In my case I had to go back 3 times, because of problems with the machine. The poor girl running the machine was trying so hard to get things right. By the second time I went back the manager was getting quite rude with her and the machine representative, which flustered her even more. By this time I was looking at my list and my cart and realizing how different the two were so before I went back the third time I made the list and the cart come alot closer to matching. The manager was getting ready to leave, to the salesgirl and my relief but she did give directions that I only had to pay for one of my posters instead of two. The poor girl was all red in the face and I told her I'd worked retail before and understood there were days like that. However Wal-marts secret plot was foiled that day. I was there long enough to realize that I was spending too much and I got a free poster so their plan was spoiled.
While I was shopping I did finish Christmas shopping for all nine grandchildren; I already had a couple of boxes filled at home. I was real proud of having finished before Thanksgiving and now all I have to do is ship the gifts. One of the things I did this year is I went with my camera and took pictures of toys I thought they would like so I could remember what there was and if necessary e-mail the pics. All my grand children live far away and I have no idea what they have and I thought this might cut down on returns. So far it seems to be working. The last two presents are pictured here.
Then when my husband came home from work; he asked me to go with him and to bring my drivers licence with just in case he could not drive. This was a really strange request but I went and we stopped at Best Buy and pulled into the pick up parking. My husband had bought me the computer I wanted online and I needed ID to pick it up. I was THRILLEDSo much of my worries about becoming useless and isolated was relieved. I felt like crying except this time with joy. I don't think I expressed the appreciation as well as I should have. It really was a stretch on the family budget but to get it is going to make a world of difference in my life. There have been times in our married life were no matter how much Tom would have liked to give me things we would not have been able to afford it. I'm very grateful for Tom's generosity and his willingness to work hard to provide for us.
Then to top it off he took the long way home to show me a pretty place to take pictures. He watches for photo ops for me and I think that's pretty nice of him. This time was especially nice as he had to go back to work and work the night shift that night and only had the opportunity for a couple of hours of sleep as it was. Taking the extra time to show me this lake was very sweet of him.
The only difficulty I had was my computer froze up which is why I'm doing this today. It was probably a blessing in disguise as I had done a lot that day and I was very tired. I listened to my body instead of getting frustrated with the computer after all Benn is coming Saturday morning to get my new computer set up and hopefully I won't have that problem anymore.
Hope you have a wonderful day.

No comments: