Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Age, race, location- No problem


What a great gift we have in the Internet-common interest social sites and blogging where we can get to know other people without the usual ways we have of pre-judging others.  I have found that I have developed more friendships based  more on personality and common interests than the traditional way of meeting and getting know others.  My life has been greatly enriched by this.  On the Internet  there is an anonymity that fosters a diversity of friendships that would not happen face to face.  How often do we in the world surrounding us, dismiss possible friendships because that person is not in our age group or race or any other visual cues?  How many people would we have never  met just because of the distance in where we live?  On the Internet unless one's avatar is their photo there are not visual cues to eliminate possible friendships. Your judgement on possibilities of friendship needs to be based on your common interests and the personality that shines through on the blog or website that you are visiting.  As I get to know people on the Internet I find myself with much more variety in my friendships and am  therefore exposed to a greater variety of ideas and lifestyles. This definitely enriches my life.  The diversity added by the lack of distance provided by the Internet is an added bonus.  I also find that I am less judgemental in meeting and getting to know others in my home town.  I have gained in confidence in approaching others and talking with strangers through my Internet experiences.  I had someone quote to me "we are all more alike than we are different" and I am finding this more and more to be true; as I get to know more and more people.
Thank you

Enjoy
☺☺☺Johnina☺☺☺  

2 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Hi Johnina!

I wasn't sure which one of your blogs to catch you on so i visited a couple. I agree whole heartedly with your comments here. I also have read many stories of bloggers who have been friends on the internet for years finally meeting and getting along beautiful without even a hiccup.I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave such a lovely comment. I don't get many comments on my artwork and my insecurities about it bedevil me wanting to know what people think.So, thanks for that! I hope you'll visit again. deb

Hilary said...

So true. I remember writing almost exactly these thoughts (perhaps not quite as eloquently) years ago when I began fostering friendships in IRC. It was long before my blogging days and I wrote it to an email friend. It's no less true all these years later. I've also met a number of online friends in "real life" and have never yet been disappointed.