Friday, March 4, 2011

Pass it along- Mail art

I am a firm believer in spreading the good; of putting out good 'vibes', that in doing so you can make the world a better place.  I have found the old adage "What goes around; comes around" to be true, although I don't worry about what's in it for me.  Mail art has given me an opportunity to share my art with not only the recipient but with everyone who handles the mail in between.  I used to do it a lot more than I have recently and I have decided that instead of doodling and sketching in a journal that I would once again use it to decorate my mail; where all could see it.  How often do we send a beautiful card in a plain envelope?  While the person who received the card might enjoy the beauty or cheerfulness it really limits the enjoyment that could have been created by that piece of art.  When I was doing it on a regular basis the postal workers were always glad to see me and see what I had done and I was always greeted with a smile.  It didn't matter that it was dinosaurs that I had drawn for my grandson or flowers for my daughters and friends, I even spray painted boxes and stenciled them.  The postal workers were always curious to see what I had done.  Now postal workers may get paid pretty well but they are never going to get rich on their salary and if I can bring a smile into their day it makes me feel happy too.
Think about what you could do to bring a smile into another life even if you never see it.  I do not see most of the people who handle my mail.  Try it, make it a habit and see how your own life will change.
ENJOY
☺☺☺☺☺Johnina ☺☺☺☺☺